Wednesday, December 23, 2009

How do I make my own headpin for making jewelry?

I would like to make my own jewejry findings, but I'm running into two problems. Finding the correct wire, and the right diameter. and making a headpin from straight wire.How do I make my own headpin for making jewelry?
Try this:





As far as the wire goes, the smaller the number, the thicker the diameter of the wire. So, for head pins you should probably use between 18 - 22 gauge (18g-22g) wire. For the correct wire, I would try Sterling Silver. You can use base metal for the head pin, there's nothing wrong with that, but some people get a allergic reaction to nickle, which is one of the metals in the base metal wire.





Making a head pin can be done many ways.


1. You can pinch the end of the wire and fold it over on itself


2. You can make a spiral pattern


3. You can flatten the end


4. If you have a torch you can put the end of the wire in the flame, let it bead up and then drop it in some water to cool.





These links may help:





http://www.wigjig.com/jewelry-making/loo鈥?/a>


http://www.bloglander.com/jewelrymaking/鈥?/a>





Good Luck!How do I make my own headpin for making jewelry?
I just purchased a great book...All Wired Up by Mark Lareau. This book has great step-by-step insturctions to make findings (including headpins and earwires) and clasps and cages. I found it very helpful.





Or, you can use 28 guage wire (it is very fine) string a tiny silver ball (or anything really) into the center of the wire, then twist the two wires together leaving the ball as the tip. Then, treat is as you would any other headpin. I got that idea from Glamourous Beaded Jewelry by M.T. Ryan. Another great book.
you should go to





www.firemountaingems.com or www.bluemud.com





both sites have tons of beads, wire, silver chain, clasps and tools.
You can also make a loop at the bottom and hang something from the bottom of your dangle, i.e. a charm.
it's not worth making these. Much more economic and professional to buy them





I use http://www.wjsutton.co.uk/findings.html

No comments:

Post a Comment