Sunday, December 27, 2009

When making roast carrots and parsnips should I parboil them first?

I'm planning on coating them in a mixture of olive oil and honey then roasting them, does this sound like a good idea? Thanks in advance to all who answer.When making roast carrots and parsnips should I parboil them first?
I don't. I brush them with a little olive oil and then put them single layer on a cookie sheet or shallow baking dish. I have also added yams, beets and turnips. I wouldn't recommend honey. All of these root vegetables are very sweet by themselves when they are roasted. Watch them carefully. If you do beets, I have blanched them to make it easier to peel, but it isn't necessary. They peel ok with a potato peeler or knife.When making roast carrots and parsnips should I parboil them first?
I have NEVER parboiled my veggies, here's the method that I like best:








Roasted Root Vegetables (use what is recommended, or what you have on hand)








1 large butternut squash, (1 1/2 to 2 pounds) halved, seeded and peeled


3 large Yukon gold potatoes (1 1/2 pounds), scrubbed


1 bunch medium beets, (about 1 1/2 pounds), scrubbed and tops trimmed


1 medium red onion


2 large parsnips (about 8 ounces)


1 head garlic, cloves separated, and peeled (about 16)


2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling


1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt


Freshly ground black pepper





Directions





Place 2 baking sheets in the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F.





Cut all the vegetables into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Cut the onions through the base core to keep some of the layers in chunky pieces. Toss all the vegetables with garlic, olive oil and salt in large bowl. Season generously with pepper.





Carefully remove the heated baking sheets from the oven, brush or drizzle with olive oil. Divide the vegetables evenly between the 2 pans, spreading them out to assure they don't steam while roasting. Roast the vegetables until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.





Enjoy!!!





Christopher
I don't parboil my veggies, and I think the honey would cause them to burn. I would make a sauce with the honey to serve with them if you are intent on having them but I think they are fine without. I just coat them in olive oil, throw in a little salt and pepper and some thyme or rosemary. I've done carrots, beets, potatoes, sweet potatoes and they have been delicious.
I never parboil mine, I coat them in olive oil salt and black pepper turn onto roasting tray add a sprinkle of fresh chopped rosemary and roast in a hot oven . Sometimes I add a little dried chilli to them too.
Not necessary. Cut them into fairly uniform chunks, coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in a pre-heated oven 400*. They are done, when a knife easily slips in.
par boiling is always good...and lessons the time of roasting the veggies.


not sure if the honey would just make everything crispy and stick to the pan..but you can try it* ENJOY*~~
parboil them first, put them in the fridge, then coat them and roast, always makes em nicer when they have been cooled cos it means they go crispy but without absorbing any extra oil
Yes i would boil them first,Then coat them in your mixture and roast..That's what i do and its yummy!!! Ohhh can i come for tea? lol x
yes par boil first ,mix honey %26amp; grain mustard together %26amp; wee knob of butter melt then pour over veg %26amp; roast them really yummy ....enjoy
you do not need to par boil. only if you want too. i find they have more flavour if just done in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment