Sunday, December 27, 2009

When making German Potato Salad, is it acceptable to dice the potatoes and leave the skin on?

I have to make like 15 pounds of German Potato Salad. In the past for my family I've made it just cubing the potatoes and leaving the skin on, however this time I am making it to share at two funeral luncheons. Skin on or off? If it makes a difference I'm using both red potatoes and run of the mill plain potatoes.When making German Potato Salad, is it acceptable to dice the potatoes and leave the skin on?
The red potatores I would leave, and the others I will peel. Brown potatoes have such thick skin and it disconnects and tastes all creepy. If you don't do that, at least wash them VERY well.When making German Potato Salad, is it acceptable to dice the potatoes and leave the skin on?
It's not only acceptable to leave it on, but the skin has nutrients, so it's healthier too.
I know its alot of potatoe to peel but I think rather than people tossing it because of the look and difficulty chewing you'd feel better you went thru the trouble of peeling them and tasting better.
both top answers are correct. May I ask why you are using the reds and the russets( the plain potatoes)?


I will say, I made for Memorial Day for my greman husband, my first attempt are German Potato salad and it was a huge hit. I have never liked it before, but I used Bobby Flay's recipe and it was fantastic. I would do it again for sure. The reason I ask why the two different kinds is that reds are waxy and hold thier shape well. Instead of also using russets, why not use reds and butter golds. The colors would be beautiful together AND they are both the same textures


BRB, I will get Bobby's recipe for you to check out





here is the recipe I used


German Potato Salad


Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay





3 pounds new potatoes


1 yellow onion, quartered


1/2 pound bacon, diced


1 large red onion, diced


3/4 cup cider vinegar


1 tablespoon mustard seeds


1/4 cup canola oil


Salt and freshly ground pepper


8 green onions, thinly sliced


1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves





Preheat the grill to high. Place potatoes in a large pot with the onion and cover with cold water. Cook, on the grates of the grill, or on a burner, until tender. Drain, discard the onion, and cut the potatoes into cubes when cool enough to handle. Place the potatoes in a large bowl and cover to keep warm.





Place a large saute pan on the grates of the grill. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Add the onions to the rendered bacon fat and cook until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes. Carefully add the vinegar and mustard seeds and cook for 2 more minutes. Whisk in the canola oil and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Add the hot dressing to the potatoes and toss gently to coat. Fold in the green onions and parsley. Season again with salt and pepper, to taste.





Difficulty: Easy


Prep Time: 15 minutes


Cook Time: 20 minutes


Yield: 8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment